How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 180, June 29: The Bummer Summer

10 Things I Remember
From the Summer of '75
As I psyche up for an imminent heat wave, I thought about all the hot summers I've had to endure. I graduated from Stoughton High School in 1975. Three of my best friends and I were heading in completely different directions that summer. Here is how I remember it.
1. We were scared: And we probably didn't even know it (or certainly wouldn't admit it)
2. I was still a jerk: Immaturity lasted with me longer than my friends. And I regret acting as I did.
3. Boring: We were between high school and college. Acting as we had in the past didn't feel right; we didn't know how to change yet.
4. I was naive: Heading to UW-Whitewater, I thought I'd carry on as usual. I eventually learned that I wasn't ready to go out on my own.
5. Lack of girlfriends: Four good-looking, intelligent guys. Not a girlfriend to be seen. Once we all got married, not one of us has gotten a divorce.
6. Hard work: My summer job was working in the tobacco fields. Very tough work. 
7. Growing up: One friend was eager to move to Florida and away from our group. Another was headed to the Marine Corps and the third to UW-La Crosse. It was awkward for all of us.
8. Hanging out: It just didn't seem to be as fun as the years before. We all were anxious and impatient for our futures.
9. Anger: That summer and for the next few years, some of us became frustrated with each other. It was bound to happen.
10. Bonded: Through it all, we survived and still are friends. I haven't seen one in about 10 years, but I know we'd hit it off should we meet again. I just found out this week that the son of my friend from California is transferring to Iowa, where my youngest son goes. Maybe they'll become friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment