How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 179, June 28: Favorite 1st Basemen

My Top 10 All-Time Favorite
Major League 1st Basemen
Most of mine come from the era when I was a kid (1966-1973). But there are a few older and newer ones, as well. Teams listed are the ones I remember them from most.
1. Lou Gehrig, Yankees: He's near the top of my all-time favorite players at ANY position (Feb. 20 post).
2. Albert Pujols, Cardinals: One of my favorite current players, I originally had him ranked 7th, but my son Shawn noticed he was ranked ahead of these other 1Bs on my all-time favorites list. So I moved him up!
3. Frank Howard, Senators: He was huge and he wore those strange glasses. Great power-hitter, usually on a bad team.
4. George "Boomer" Scott, Red Sox: Great player on my favorite team, he was known for calling his 1st baseman's mitt "black beauty." 
5. Harmon Killebrew, Twins: Just a steady, no-nonsense player on a competitive Twins club.
6. Jimmie Foxx, Red Sox: Played before my time, I've read quite a bit about him but would like to read more.
7. Al Kaline, Tigers: See No. 4. Probably a better all-around hitter, but I liked Harmon just a bit more.
8. Willie McCovey, Giants: He and Willie Mays made a great combo, but what can I say? It's obvious that I'm an American League fan.
9. Jim Thome, Indians: What a class guy and great power hitter.
10. Jeff Bagwell, Astros: How could the Red Sox let this kid get away???
Note: Carl Yastrzemski, on the baseball card, played primarily outfield.

1 comment:

  1. Will Clark earned his nickname "The Thrill" from the moment of his first Major League at-bat.
    He homered off Nolan Ryan. I watched it live on TV, and it marked the start of a baseball love affair between a city and its first baseman.
    I'm so glad the club brought him back to serve in a front-office capacity.

    ReplyDelete